Article written by Girls on Games collaborator, Catherine Dumont.
Xbox's E3 conference just ended and they delivered what they promised; 90 minutes of non-stop, jam-packed previews and shots of upcoming games coming this year and in 2015. Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft's Xbox division and Microsoft studios, acknowledged the changes us gamers wanted and dedicated the entire briefing to games.
Without further ado, here are the highlights from Xbox's E3 conference:
- Brand new Xbox App coming out later this year to transform how we track and interact with gaming achievements. With the Xbox One, you'll be able to use and view achievements in Snap Mode in order to track them seamlessly while you play. It'll show you your progress and how close you are to unlocking specific ones; Rank achievements in the order in which you want to unlock them; if you're stuck on a specific achievement, Xbox will aid you to search the web for guides, tricks and help in order to unlock it. Set to come out later this year, it'll be only available through Snap, exclusively on Xbox One.
- It was revealed during the Xbox Pre-Show that massively popular Xbox Live Arcade game Happy Wars is now coming to Xbox One. Good news is that you can transfer your game progress and stats from the Xbox 360 to Xbox One. It will also support 4-way split screen multiplayer.
- Killer Instinct Season 2 was announced, along with a short video showing off brand new character TJ Combo. Coming to Xbox One this fall.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was showcased during Xbox's conference, reminding us that all DLC and other content will be coming to Xbox first. After the trailer being leaked not too long ago, we finally got to see some gameplay. The graphics looked amazing, and the franchise is beginning to evolve by introducing futuristic weaponry, robotics technology and mechs. It's set to be released this November 4th.
- Alongside Forza Motorsport 5 announcing its new free next-gen crafted racing map, the legendary Nürburgring, available as of today, it announced Forza Horizon 2, launching this September 30th. Introducing over 200 of the world's greatest cars, the game will be in full 1080p with dedicated servers, seamless multiplayer transition (i.e., no multiplayer lobby) as well as premiering a new dynamic in-game weather system. It's available for preorder now.
- Turtle Rock's upcoming shooter Evolve will release both its Beta and DLC on Xbox One first. We got to see some gameplay footage as well as a slice of how the multiplayer will work.You will have four classes to choose from: Assault, Trapper, Medic and Support. OR you can be the monster. Cool, this will be awesome to play with some buds. It's coming out this fall.
- Ubisoft's upcoming Assassin's Creed Unity showcased their co-op mode, a brand-new feature to the Assassin's Creed franchise. Set in Paris on the eve of the French Revolution, you will be able to quadruple team it to take down enemies and behead people while admiring the incredibly rich environment the team has created. THANK YOU UBISOFT!
- Bioware's Dragon Age Inquisition announced that "premier content" will be coming to Xbox owners first. It's set to be released on October 7th.
- "Can you save Sunset city? Can you? For the love of god, can you?! Of Course you can, it's a fucking video game".
We got another look at Insomniac Game's Sunset Overdrive, but this time we got a release date! The game will be hitting up Xbox One exclusively on October 28th. Insomniac really pushes that YOU are the hero in the onomatopoeia-ridden, crazy colorful open world of Sunset Overdrive. Alongside customizable characters, you will get to participate in the game's multiplayer experience called Chaos Squad, that can be played with up to 8 other people.
- Harmonix introduces new Dance Central game called Dance Central - Spotlight, a digital-only download exclusive to Xbox, available this September. They also spoke briefly about Disney's Fantasia Music Evolved with a definite release date slated for October 21st of this year for both Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
- Capcom showcased a crossover DLC for Dead Rising 3, where you can cosplay as your favorite Capcom character, including Ryu and Mega Man! It's available as of now for the Xbox One and the DLC goes by its official name of: Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition DX Plus Alpha. HA!
- Chicken kickin' is back! Lionhead Studios gave us a more indepth look into upcoming Xbox One exclusive Fable Legends. While it's quite the departure from the other games in the Fable series, the graphics and humorous dialogue remains loyal to the original. Fable Legends will focus on a four-player online cooperative play out to battle for good, with a fifth person, acting as an evil overlord-type, sending down hordes of demons and other miscreants from a top-down perspective. Also, Fable Legends will be getting its own Beta starting this fall.
- And now for the highlight of Xbox's E3 conference! The rumored Halo: The Master Chief Collection was officially announced and slated to be released on November 11th of this year exclusively on the Xbox One! It includes Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4. Microsoft and 343 industries aim to set the foundation before releasing their highly-anticipated Halo 5 game in 2015. All four games will have their original multiplayer suites as well as a fully-remastered version of Halo 2, including much-lamented dual-wielding weapons. In its entirety, the Master Chief Collection will have over 100 multiplayer maps to choose from. And that's not all: purchasing it will allow you to have access to the Halo 5: Guardians Beta coming this December, as well as Ridley Scott's digital series, Halo: Nightfall. Oh, and it will be full 1080p, 60FPS and have 4000 achievement score to be unlocked.
- A Miyazaki-esque platformer was showcased by Moon Studios today called Ori and the Blind Forest. The game's debut was introduced by a gorgeous trailer with haunting music. It is set to release this holiday season on the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.
- Microsoft's highly anticipated initiative, ID@Xbox, revealed some new indie games coming to Xbox One. This is fantastic news for gamers and indie developers, as well as a giant step in the right direction for Microsoft in regards to indie games. Here is a list of the games showcased today: Aztez, Knight Squad, Plague Inc. Evolved, White Night, Earthlock, Cuphead, Hyper Light Drifter, Lifeless Planet, Slash Dash, Fru, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Mighty No. 9, Grave, Woolfe, #IDARB, Threes, Fenix Rage, Hellraid, Below
- Playdead revealed their debut trailer for new game Inside. While not much was shown, it reminded me of their indie hit Limbo. It's projected to be released in early 2015.
- One the best games in 2013 is finally getting a sequel! Rise of the Tomb Raider's trailer debuted today during Xbox's conference with a release date aimed for the Holidays 2015. Crystal Dynamic's new game shows Lara Croft speaking with a therapist after the events of Tomb Raider. "In the next chapter of her journey, Lara must use her survival skills and wits, learn to trust new friends, and ultimately accept her destiny as the Tomb Raider." Needless to say, this game is going to be epic.
- Phantom Dust is returning as an Xbox One exclusive! The original Xbox hit was announced with the tagline "The Battle For Reality Begins". While no release date was announced, Microsoft announces it as a "reimagined" version of the original game. Hopefully more details gameplay footage will be upon us before 2014 ends.
- Ubisoft's Tom Clancy: The Division will be releasing content for Xbox One first. While the game is to release sometime in 2015, we got a glance at Ubisoft's massive third-person action/shooter game. Set in NYC, a deadly virus outbreak on black friday has turned the city chaotic. Stay tuned as more details will be revealed!
- Platinum Games' Scalebound was announced as an Xbox One exclusive. The footage shows a fantastical world where you fight monsters and dragons using your supernatural powers.
- Cloudgine's Crackdown was announced for the Xbox One during Microsoft's E3 conference today! Set in a cooperative sci-fi open world, Crackdown's footage demonstrated abilities to wreak havoc in the world. The game itself looks amazing so far, and the cell-shading graphics reminded of Borderlands, which is a plus in my books. Can't wait for more details about this!
Fans might be disappointed that Gears of Wars and Alan Wake weren't announced during this year's E3 briefing, however, I'm sure they are in the Xbox One's future. Just not this year.